AmeriCorps VISTA Details
Compensation and Benefits–AmeriCorps VISTA
- Annual stipend of $12,311 (VISTA Leader $14,196) paid bi-weekly during the term of service
- Eligibility for Segal Education Award of $6,095 upon successful completion of service
- Eligibility for end of service stipend of $1,800 (VISTA Leader $3,000)
- Non-competitive eligibility for federal government jobs (for one year after service)
- Eligibility for relocation allowance of up to $1000 for applicants moving 50+ miles from home of record, plus a settling in allowance (only applicable to individuals who move for VISTA service)
- Eligibility for forbearance of qualified student loans during term of service
- Eligibility for interest accrual payment (for loans place in forbearance) upon successful completion of service
- Eligibility for child care stipend of up to $400 per child per month
Benefits–MCN VISTA Program
- Cohort experience–MCN VISTAs meet monthly for professional development and engage in various professional, team-building, and social activities together
- 12 months of professional development in nonprofit management and leadership, plus access to MCN’s 6 major conferences and 60+ annual workshops, to prepare you for success during year of service and beyond
- Annual personal professional development budget of $300
- In order to serve as a VISTA you must meet certain AmeriCorps eligibility requirements which are that you are at least 18 years old and a United States national, or lawful permanent resident
- Each position will have its own eligibility requirements - please review the position postings carefully
- Apply to selected positions on my.AmeriCorps.gov or check on the MCN VISTA website for current openings
- After a review of the application, the selected applicant's information will be submitted to the Host Site Supervisor for specific position posting
- If interested, the Supervisor will invite the applicant to either an in-person or phone interview
- If selected, the Host Site Supervisor will contact you directly **All offers are contingent upon results of background check**
AmeriCorps VISTA Considerations
VISTA can be an amazing opportunity to gain skills, develop networks, grow friendships, and successfully launch a nonprofit career. However, the restrictions in the program are not for everyone. Please carefully consider your personal financial situation prior to applying to the AmeriCorps VISTA Program.
- Part-time enrollment in college courses or part-time employment (not to exceed 20 hours per week) is permitted with approval of the site supervisor.
- The living allowance amounts to $983 per month.
- Health insurance is not available through VISTA service. A Health Benefit Plan is available, but it does not meet the minimum standards of the Affordable Care Act. Please evaluate your health insurance needs and available options before considering VISTA Service.