Your board of directors is a vital key to a well-managed nonprofit. This workshop is designed for both experienced and new executives, staff, board members and volunteers. The topics covered will provide an essential refresher for those more experienced as well as an important orientation for those newer to board development.
Topics covered include:
- Overview of governance roles and responsibilities
- Running effective board meetings
- Fiscal oversight
- Supporting the chief executive officer
- Ensuring effective planning
- Ensuring ethical and legal integrity
- Strengthening the board infrastructure
Time will be allotted for work planning and trouble-shooting regarding:
- Creation of board committees;
- Creating or revising board member and committee job descriptions;
- Creating or revising board policies and procedures;
- Board self-assessment process; and
- Setting board member expectations.
Turnaround Solutions president Karmit Bulman is a consultant, coach, mediator, trainer, group process facilitator, and turnaround specialist for a variety of local, national, and international organizations. Karmit has served as managing attorney and executive director for nonprofits including: The Minnesota Association for Volunteer Administration, The Minnesota Legal Services Coalition, The Minnesota Coalition for Battered Women, Avenues for Homeless Youth, Temple Israel, and The Conflict Resolution Center. She is an adjunct instructor at the University of Minnesota and Metro State University and a trainer for the Department of Human Services. Karmit is the author of The Conflict Consultant’s Handbook and other legal self-help booklets. She has helped organizations move to the next level of growth for over 30 years. Her work has involved facilitation of collaborative processes, conflict assessment, coalition building, executive coaching and consulting, new business development, organizational turnaround, and revenue expansion. Karmit has extensive experience in financial management, program development, public and community relations, fund raising, and nonprofit infrastructure building.