Many people who work in nonprofits find themselves in the position of “accidental grantwriter” and do not feel fully equipped for the challenge. This session will provide a balance of tools, practice of skills and significant writing opportunities to deepen participants’ knowledge of and skills in grantwriting.
This intermediate-level training is also a hands-on writing clinic, in which registrants will receive feedback from other participants about specific sections of one of their grant proposals as well as have an opportunity to create and/or improve some usable grant content for their organizations.
In this training, you will:
- Develop usable grant content for your organization,
- Analyze actual grant applications, and recognize successful and unsuccessful strategies, and
- Receive peer feedback on submitted grant applications and on the content written in the workshop.
Workshop participants will receive a copy of the Handbook for Successful Grant Writing that covers topics ranging from research and planning to a glossary of commonly used terms. The Handbook is only available to participants and is not otherwise for sale. It will be mailed one week before the training to registered participants; those who register less than one week before the training will receive their handbook after the training concludes.
Feedback from Previous Participants
“The handbook and materials will be helpful for the future. Kari is very knowledgeable. It’s great to be able to learn from her.”
“The peer feedback was so valuable! I enjoyed the interactive nature of this virtual training and the examples provided by Kari, too.”
These sessions are hosted in Adobe Connect. You will need a computer with a reliable high-speed internet connection. Also, in this training, you will be interacting with the trainer and other participants via chat and voice. Because of the limitations of our virtual training software, you cannot use computer speakers and microphone to hear and speak during this training, you must use a phone.
When you register, you will receive a registration confirmation. Specific instructions about how to log into each session will emailed to you at least two days before the training begins. If you don’t receive this email, please first check your spam folder, then contact email@example.com.
- Will the session be recorded? Because of the highly interactive nature of this training, which will include ongoing conversation via chat and polls, it will not be recorded. Instead, materials summarizing the week’s lesson will be provided.
- Can registrations be shared? To achieve the best possible learning outcomes during this training, each participant needs to have their own connection to the virtual classroom, which means registrations can't be shared. Participants will be actively engaging with the trainer via chat and polls, and thus each needs to have their own keyboard, computer, and connection to the training.
- Can I connect to this training with Adobe Connect's mobile app for phones and tablets? While Adobe Connect does have a mobile app, its functionality is limited and does not support all the engagement tools that we use during this training. We strongly suggest that you use a desktop or laptop computer rather than a phone or tablet to access Adobe Connect.
About the trainer
Kari Aanestad is the director of advancement at the Minnesota Council of Nonprofits. In this role, Kari secures and stewards grant and individual donor support for MCN. She also supports the development of other fundraising professionals throughout Minnesota through various channels including in-person and online trainings, the Minnesota Grants Alert, and the Minnesota Grants Directory. Kari holds a bachelor of arts in English and political science from Augsburg College and a master of divinity from Luther Seminary. Most recently she served as grant writer and outcomes manager for St. David’s Center. Kari brings a holistic wealth of experience to her role including international travel to over 20 countries, hospital chaplaincy in England, and teaching and tutoring positions ranging from elementary to post-graduate levels in writing and compassionate communication.