Director of Marketing
Animal Humane Society
As the leading animal welfare organization in the Upper Midwest, the Animal Humane Society is committed to engaging and serving local communities of people and animals and providing comprehensive programs and services to compassionately serve all of the stages of an animal’s life. At our campuses in Buffalo, Coon Rapids, Golden Valley, St. Paul and Woodbury, our mission is to engage the hearts, hands and minds of the community to help animals.
|Location: Twin Cities Metro||Activity Area: Environmental and/or Animal Related|
|Category: Public Relations and Marketing||Closing Date: open until filled|
|Job Type: Full Time||Salary: N/A|
Primary Function: The Director of Marketing is responsible for providing the overall strategy and direction for the Animal Humane Society’s marketing activities. The Director of Marketing serves as an integral member of the Community Engagement team, whose goal is to advance the organization’s mission and position with relevant constituents to drive broader awareness, to develop deeper relationships, and to increase participation and support among constituents, including, but not limited to, service users and donors.
1. Marketing: Create and implement a comprehensive, strategic marketing plan, as it relates to the organization’s positioning, goals and communication needs; collaborate with department and program heads in designing and implementing this plan for AHS’s target audiences and programs, including, but not limited to:
• Program (Animal House Boarding, Education, Behavior & Training)
• Development, including three major fundraising events
• Community/promotional/marketing events
• Kindest Cut
• Now Boarding
• Law of the Paw
• Strategic Plan priorities
2. Brand: Collaborate with Director of Communications and others to determine, maintain and enhance the organization’s overall brand identity; work with department leaders to ensure that message points are compelling, strong and consistently employed across all marketing and communications platforms and targeted to intended audiences
3. Creative: Provide oversight and collaborate on production of creative materials, ensuring that communications are integrated, reflect the brand and, where possible, streamline use of resources; supervise team of two graphic designers; develop and maintain relationships with outside agencies and vendors as needed.
4. Advertising: Develop and implement annual advertising strategy, including media buys
5. Product/Service Development: Work with other departments as it relates to the development, pricing and promotion of new products or services.
6. Research: Conduct or coordinate relevant market research with various Animal Humane Society constituencies and the public so as to better define market/customer needs; monitor trends
7. Reporting and Analysis: Monitor and report on outcomes and effectiveness of marketing initiatives
8. Financial: Budget development in collaboration with Chief Advancement Officer; adherence to established budget parameters
9. Data Analysis and Integration: Utilizing demographic and psychographic data, and in collaboration with other directors, recommend and implement integrated, multi-channel marketing and communications strategies with a customer-centric focus to build and strengthen stakeholder relationships
• Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Literature or related field
• Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing and communications activities
• Strong creative, strategic, analytical and organizational skills
• Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications
• Minimum of eight years of experience in marketing and communications with demonstrated success, preferably in the non-profit sector
• Highly motivated self-starter; ability to work independently and as a part of a team
• Ability to successfully prioritize and manage numerous projects in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Detail-oriented, with a positive and energetic attitude
• Committed to and enthusiastic about the mission, programs and services of the Animal Humane Society.
• Primarily office/desk-based
• Adjacent animal shelter areas may be humid, noisy, or odorous
This position description is intended to describe the general content and/or requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
How To Apply:
Please visit the employment page of our website at
Animal Humane Society for AHS employment details and to submit an application/resume.