Criminal Justice Intervention Intern
Cornerstone Advocacy Service
Cornerstone is a $4.8M agency with approximately 90 employees. We provide specialized services within eleven cities, including Bloomington, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Crystal, Edina, Eden Prairie, Maple Grove, Richfield, Robbinsdale, St. Louis Park, and Minneapolis. Our organization serves individuals impacted by domestic violence, sexual violence and human trafficking, with office locations in Bloomington, Minneapolis, and Brooklyn Center. Cornerstone has developed one of the most comprehensive service continuums for victims of violence in Minnesota. Our services are designed to move individuals and families from crisis to safety, stabilization and security. Last year approximately 4,000 individuals accessed Cornerstone programming. We are committed to providing opportunities for others to partner with us in this work and to convey, as a community, zero-tolerance for violence.
|Location: Twin Cities Metro||Activity Area: Legal, Civil Rights Advocacy, Crime|
|Category: Health/Human Services Workforce||Closing Date: open until filled|
|Job Type: Intern - Unpaid||Salary: Unpaid Internship|
|Hours: 20 hours per week|
Civil and Criminal Justice Intervention Advocates support the victim/survivor through the judicial process, facilitating the system partnerships in the criminal justice system to encourage offender accountability and enhance victim/survivor safety. We also offer safety planning, safe housing and supportive services immediately after arrest.
Time Requirements: 20+ hours per week for 1 full semester or summer term
Preferred days and hours for student: Mondays-Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm are work hours.
The successful candidate will provide legal advocacy services to victim/survivors/survivors of domestic abuse and will work with local police, prosecutors, probation officers and judges to meet the needs of all victim/survivors who are depending on the court for their safety. The primary focus of this position is within the criminal justice system.
The essential duties include but are not limited to:
· serve as an advocate for victim/survivors mainly criminal court proceedings and function as a liaison between the victim/survivor and the criminal justice system
· consult with all members of the legal system and court personnel to relay information including conveying victim/survivor’s statement
· advocate for the protection of the victim/survivor and the accountability of offenders within the court system
· maintain a professional demeanor in behavior and dress
· maintain confidentiality
· keep accurate records of all court appearances, phone calls and in-person contacts with and on behalf of the victim/survivor
· make follow up phone calls to victim/survivors to notify them of court orders and appearances and case status; provide all relevant information to domestic abuse victim/survivors to facilitate their involvement in every court appearance
· keep abreast of new laws affecting domestic violence and victim/survivor safety.
- The desire to work within the criminal justice system to advocate for victim/survivors of domestic violence.
- Some knowledge of the criminal justice system
- Good communication, listening, and advocacy skills
- Flexibility, initiative, work cooperatively with others
- Ability to relate to people of different economic, cultural, racial, and social
- Ability to adhere to confidentiality and maintain professional boundaries with clients
- Emotional maturity to work with this target population
- Car, license, and insurance; Criminal Background check
Cornerstone strives for a fully inclusive work environment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital, familial, status with regard to public assistance or any other characteristic. The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of this position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Cornerstone is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
How To Apply:
Please E-Mail your cover letter & resume to:
No agencies; No walk-ins; No phone calls please