Civil Justice Intervention Intern
Cornerstone Advocacy Service
Cornerstone is a $4.8M agency with approximately 90 employees. We provide specialized services within eleven cities, including Bloomington, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Crystal, Edina, Eden Prairie, Maple Grove, Richfield, Robbinsdale, St. Louis Park, and Minneapolis. Our organization serves individuals impacted by domestic violence, sexual violence and human trafficking, with office locations in Bloomington, Minneapolis, and Brooklyn Center. Cornerstone has developed one of the most comprehensive service continuums for victims of violence in Minnesota. Our services are designed to move individuals and families from crisis to safety, stabilization and security. Last year approximately 4,000 individuals accessed Cornerstone programming. We are committed to providing opportunities for others to partner with us in this work and to convey, as a community, zero-tolerance for violence.
|Location: Twin Cities Metro||Activity Area: Legal, Civil Rights Advocacy, Crime|
|Category: Health/Human Services Workforce||Closing Date: open until filled|
|Job Type: Intern - Unpaid||Salary: Unpaid Internship|
|Hours: 20 hours per week|
Criminal and Civil Justice Intervention supports the victim/survivor through the judicial process, facilitating the system partnerships in the criminal and civil justice system to encourage offender accountability and enhance victim/survivor safety. We also offer safety planning, safe housing and supportive services.
Time Requirements: 20+ hours per week for 1 full semester or summer term.
Preferred days and hours for student: Mondays-Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm are work hours.
Provides civil legal advocacy services to victims of domestic abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking in a knowledgeable, empathetic manner. Works with local police and sheriff’s office, the court, and the Domestic Abuse Service Center to meet the needs of all victims who are depending on the court for their safety.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- The primary focus of this position is within the civil justice system.
- The essential duties include but are not limited to:
· Serve as an advocate for victim/survivors in mainly civil court proceedings and function as a liaison between the victim/survivor and the civil or criminal justice system.
· Consults with other members of the legal system and court personnel to relay information and advocate for the protection of the victim and the accountability of offenders within the court system.
· Assists victims in writing Orders for Protection/Harassment Restraining Orders and amendments and extensions to such orders.
· Provides accompaniment as need to hearings on these orders.
· Keeps victim/survivors informed of legal proceedings and legal processes.
· Provides safety planning sessions and one-to-one meetings with victims of abuse.
· Provides resources and referrals as needed to help meet victim needs.
· Works collaboratively across all CAS programs and attends departmental staff meetings as scheduled.
· Maintain confidentiality and a professional demeanor in behavior and dress.
· Keep accurate records of all court appearances, phone calls and in-person contacts with and on behalf of the victim/survivor.
· Keep abreast of new laws affecting domestic violence and victim/survivor safety.
· Completed data entry in a timely manner.
- The desire to work within the civil justice system to advocate for victim/survivors of domestic violence.
- Some knowledge of the civil justice system.
- Good communication, listening, and advocacy skills.
- Flexibility, initiative, work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to relate to people of different economic, cultural, racial, and social
- Ability to adhere to confidentiality and maintain professional boundaries with clients.
- Emotional maturity to work with this target population.
- Car, valid driver’s license and proof of ongoing automobile insurance
- Clear criminal background check.
Cornerstone strives for a fully inclusive work environment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital, familial, status with regard to public assistance or any other characteristic. The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of this position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Cornerstone is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
How To Apply:
Please E-Mail your cover letter & resume to:
No agencies; No walk-ins; No phone calls please