The Minnesota Council of Nonprofits (MCN) is committed to building the strength and integrity of the nonprofit sector statewide. As part of this commitment, in 2010 MCN initiated the Nonprofit Leadership Awards to recognize the passion and energy of individual leaders at various stages in their nonprofit careers.
Submit a Nomination (by April 20, 2017)
- Dedicated to working in the nonprofit sector
- Interested in building organizational, individual and sector leadership
- Instill passion in themselves and the people with whom they work
- Aware of their role and impact in their organization and the sector
- Reflective on past experience to lead in the present and future
- Collaborate well with other people and organizations as well as across sectors
- Bring innovative ideas forward and to fruition
- Regarded as demonstrating highest integrity and ethical behavior
- Effectively leads from the middle and uses informal authority to shape the direction and progress of his/her work, and that of the organization.
- Understands how to help move change forward in an organization by effectively communicating with key internal and external stakeholders to help them understand, and participate in, the change process.
- Has helped shape his/her organization through strategic change that is beneficial to the staff, board, organization and community.
The prize for the Catalytic Leader Award is a “golden ticket” for free individual registration to any/all MCN-sponsored conferences and trainings for 12 months. The award recipient may attend the MCN annual conference, technology conference, leadership conference and any of MCN’s nonprofit workshops offered throughout the year. This prize is valued at over $1,000. The Catalytic Leader Award is co-sponsored by the Young Nonprofit Professionals Network of the Twin Cities.
Visionary Leader (mid-career leader award)
- Has at least five years of experience in a senior leadership role within the nonprofit sector.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop and implement creative and effective organizational leadership strategies.
- Is able to create and nurture valuable collaborations and partnerships to advance the work of nonprofits, and result in tangible benefits to the community.
The prize for the Visionary Leader Award is a “golden ticket” for free individual registration to any/all MCN-sponsored conferences and trainings for 12 months. The award recipient may attend the MCN annual conference, technology conference, leadership conference and any of MCN’s nonprofit workshops offered throughout the year. This prize is valued at over $1,000.
Transformational Leader (experienced leader award)
- Effectively demonstrates commitment to the nonprofit sector, having served in a strategic or significant nonprofit role and with at least 20 years of professional experience.
- Enhances the success and knowledge of other leaders.
- Works across boundaries to develop transformational solutions.
- Demonstrates a commitment to collaborating with public or private sector organizations or leaders to address key issues.
- Has an interest in pursuing research, teaching or a particular project that relates to shared leadership or collaborative action to address significant and solvable social challenges.
The Transformational Leader Award recipient will become a 2017-2018 Executive Leadership Fellow at the Center for Integrative Leadership (CIL) at the University of Minnesota. CIL is focused on research, learning and discussion to catalyze intersector and other boundary-crossing collaboration for social impact. Their leadership fellows join a vibrant community of students, scholars and practitioners committed to fostering leadership that crosses boundaries. CIL is a University-wide initiative specifically affiliated with the Humphrey School of Public Policy, the Carlson School of Management, the Law School, the College of Education and Human Development, and the School of Public Health. Up to $5000 is available for Fellows during the Fellowship year for project-related expenses.
Submit a Nomination (by April 20, 2017)